Skip to content
Skip to main menu
Nelson & Pade Inc. Blog
- Aquaponics.com Offers World’s Largest Selection for Aquaponics Montello, WI – If you are an aquaponic farmer or gardener or hoping to become one, the aquaponics.com/store/ offers everything you need!
Nelson and Pade, Inc.®, the Most Trusted Name in Aquaponics®, has been offering information and products on their website, www.aquaponics.com, since 1996. Over the years, the website has evolved and the online store has ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc, Honored with Sustainable Business Award Nelson and Pade, Inc.® is honored to accept the Wisconsin Sustainable Product of the Year award for a small business, from the Wisconsin Sustainability Council. This award provides recognition of the many facets of sustainability that our Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems® represent. From low water usage to zero waste, these systems use less resources while ... Read more
- Rebecca Nelson, Featured Speaker at Seeds and Chips, Milan, Italy Nelson and Pade, Inc.® is honored to announce that Rebecca Nelson, co-founder of Nelson and Pade Inc.®, is a featured speaker at Seeds and Chips, the Leading Food Innovation Summit in the World. This prestigious even takes place in Milan, Italy, May 7-10, 2018.
Speakers include John Kerry, former US Secretary of State, Howard Schultz, Exec. ... Read more
- 2017 Photo and Video Contest Winners Announced The Winners of the Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Photo and Video Contest have been announced!
We appreciate all of the efforts of those who entered and also want to acknowledge the enthusiasm and passion that all entrants showed for their Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems®.
1st Place – GRAND PRIZE – $1,000 Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Gift Certificate
Noah ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Donates Montello Fresh™ Aquaponically-Grown Lettuce to Area Schools Today I had the opportunity to step away from my desk and visit a couple of public schools in our area school districts. I filled my car with totes of leafy greens that were just harvested this morning by our greenhouse team, and headed out. I had the pleasure of personally delivering these totes of ... Read more
- Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation Tours Nelson & Pade, Inc.® for Manufacturing Month As part of Manufacturing Month, WEDC officials toured our headquarters in Montello yesterday and had the opportunity to meet with the company’s employees, learn more about the company’s innovative Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems®, and see firsthand what has made our company successful.
For over 30 years, we have helped people from around the world get started ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Presented With Citation By The Legislature On Monday, September 11th, Nelson and Pade, Inc.® was honored to receive a visit by Wisconsin State Representative Joan Ballweg of the 41st Assembly District. Representative Ballweg is a strong supporter of our mission to help bring food security to all nations through aquaponics and controlled environment agriculture.
On behalf of Wisconsin State Senator Luther Olsen ... Read more
- Azerbaijan Marks Country #103 In mid-August, we hosted another 3-day Aquaponics Master Class® offering at our state-of-the-art greenhouse and training facility. Our classroom was packed with attendees from all across the United States, Canada and Azerbaijan, eager to learn more about this sustainable method of food production. During this course, sessions alternated between classroom lectures, demonstrations and hands-on greenhouse ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Named the 2017 Wisconsin Business Friend of the Environment Last week I was asked to step away from my desk, and represent Nelson and Pade, Inc.®, along with my team member Erin Kuhn, at the Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce (WMC) Policy Day. The event was hosted at the beautiful Monona Terrace in Madison, and the agenda was filled with policy reviews and updates on ... Read more
- 2017 Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems® Video and Photo Contest It’s time to show off your system and what you are growing for a chance to win recognition and gift certificates! Nelson and Pade, Inc.®, The Most Trusted Name in Aquaponics®, just announced their 2017 Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems® Video and Photo Contest. This contest is open to all aquaponics growers using Nelson and Pade, ... Read more
- WI Senator Works a Day at Nelson and Pade, Inc. On Monday, June 5th, Nelson and Pade, Inc.® welcomed a temporary member to their staff, Wisconsin Senator Patrick Testin (24th District). As part of the Senator’s “On the Job with Patrick Testin” monthly series, Senator Testin donned a Nelson and Pade Aquaponics t-shirt and spent a full day working alongside our staff members.
In an effort ... Read more
- Marvelous May Oh my, what a marvelous May, bursting with blossoms, events and opportunities. Looking out my window, the lake is a brilliant blue, contrasted by myriad shades of green on the freshly leafed trees. Bright sunshine illuminates the splash of jumping fish and the scent of lilacs fills the air.
Our May started with a trip to Minnesota ... Read more
- Pakistan Marks Country #102 Last week we hosted another 3-day Aquaponics Master Class® at our campus in Montello, WI. Our experienced and knowledgeable instructors, along with our state-of-the-art training facility and comprehensive course presentations, draws attendees from all over the world. Aquaprenuers from as near as Sun Prairie, Wisconsin and as far as the Philippines joined us April 27-29 ... Read more
- Illinois Will Be Home of the First Aquaponics MicroFarm At the end of last week, aquaponics history was made again as our first MicroFarm Clear Flow Aquaponics System®, departed our campus and headed home with new Nelson and Pade Grower, Tony Stirling, just south of the border to Illinois. Tony is in the photo, on the right, along with Nelson and Pade Team members ... Read more
- Why isn’t Aquaponics a Bigger Industry? This question was posed recently by a customer. It is a valid question that deserves a thorough answer.
Although the aquaculture industry has been around for over a hundred years and the hydroponics industry 50-60 years, the combination of the two is fairly new. Research on recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) began about 30 years ago. The ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc.® presents at ‘Farmer in the Classroom’ This week is National FFA Week and Nelson and Pade, Inc.® celebrated by spending a morning with some of our Future Farmers of America. We were honored to be invited to participate in the ‘Farmer in the Classroom’ lesson at Westfield Elementary School (WES) on Wednesday morning.
Paula Becker, AmeriCorps Farm to School Nutrition Educator, has ... Read more
- WI State Legislators Tour UWSP-AIC and Nelson and Pade, Inc.® On Friday, February 10, all of us at Nelson and Pade, Inc.® were very honored to host a tour of distinguished guests. The group included our partners at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (UWSP) and Wisconsin state legislators and staff.
From UWSP, Chris Cirmo, Dean of the College of Letters and Sciences, Dr. Chris Hartleb, Professor of ... Read more
- A Successful Aquaponics Master Class®…at the Beach! Our Aquaponics Master Class® is a very comprehensive, science-based, straightforward and honest look the technology of aquaponics and the aquaponics industry. To date, we have had attendees from 101 countries and all 50 US states join us for the class.
Most of our Master Classes take place at our greenhouses in Wisconsin where we have ... Read more
- Holiday Reception at the Governor’s Executive Residence Rebecca Nelson and John Pade, co-founders of Nelson and Pade, Inc.®, were honored to attend the Holiday Reception at the Governor’s Executive Residence in Madison, WI on Monday, December 12, 2016.
The event was hosted by Governor Scott Walker. After graciously greeting all of the guests, taking time to talk and pose for photos with all, Governor Walker ... Read more
- First Snow! What a beautiful experience, the first snow of every winter. The landscape is awash with white, the tree branches bowing with the weight. In our yard the fallen snow is graced with the dainty footprints of squirrels, intermingled with big-dog paw prints and full-body canine snow angels.
Today, for me, was a day of reflection and ... Read more
- The Dogs Will Bark But the Caravan Marches On The Dogs Will Bark But the Caravan Marches on…This telling parable was shared with me quite a few years ago while talking with the Egyptian Minister of Agriculture about food…the lack of it as well as the technological advancements that would feed the world. He embraced the idea of aquaponics but warned of the impending ... Read more
- Another Successful Aquaponics Start Up After just returning from a whirlwind trip and wonderful celebration of NOAH’s (Native Oklahoma Aquaponic Harvest) grand opening in Vian, Oklahoma, I have a few moments to reflect on the experience, people and hope that this trip provided.
Going back to 2010, Richard Tyler, now the proud owner of an aquaponic farm, called to inquire about ... Read more
- 2015 Video and Photo Contest Winners Announced! We had a fantastic response to the 2015 contest and we truly enjoyed viewing all of the videos and photos. We were challenged to pick the winners because we received many great entries. But, after much consideration, we have chosen. Below are the results of our 2nd annual video and photo contest. Congratulations to all of ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade, Inc.® Donates Lettuce to Area Schools In celebration of National Farm to School Month, Nelson and Pade, Inc.®, is donating fresh, locally-grown lettuce to the public school districts in Marquette County, WI throughout the month of October. The lettuce is grown in Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems® at Nelson and Pade, Inc.®’s greenhouse facilities in Montello, WI. Aquaponics is a sustainable method ... Read more
- Official Meeting of WI DATCP Held at Nelson and Pade, Inc. On Sept, 23, 2015, we were honored to host the business meeting of the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP). The meeting started with a tour of our aquaponic greenhouse facilities and the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point: Aquaponics Innovation Center (UWSP-AIC).
We were happy to have the opportunity to introduce the DATCP Board ... Read more
- June-July, 2015 Grower Tour One of the many benefits of the Nelson and Pade Grower Program is the personal visits to our growers by our senior staff. In late June through early July, Rebecca Nelson and John Pade took a tour around Lake Michigan, travelling 1700 miles to visit growers and potential growers in Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois.
The first ... Read more
- Author Ali Berlow holds book talk and signing at Nelson and Pade, Inc. On Saturday, July 18, 2015, Nelson and Pade was honored to host Madison, WI native and author Ali Berlow. Ali Berlow is the author of The Mobile Poultry Slaughterhouse and the co-owner of Edible Vineyard, and she has been writing professionally for more than 10 years. She got her start in 2002 with the NPR ... Read more
- WI Lt. Gov. Kleefisch Visits Nelson and Pade, Inc. and UWSP-AIC On Tuesday, July 15, 2015, we were honored to have a visit from the Wisconsin Lt. Governor, Rebecca Kleefisch, who was accompanied by UW System Regent, Regina Milner. John Pade, UWSP Professor Dr. Chris Hartleb and I gave the tour of our new greenhouse facilities and the UWSP-Aquaponics Innovation Center. We were thrilled and honored to ... Read more
- Mid 2015 Update A full year has passed since we embarked on a major expansion of our facilities in Montello. It has been a whirlwind of activity over the past 12 months, from destruction to construction, assembly of new aquaponic systems and completion of 14,000 sq. ft of new greenhouses and a 6,000 sq. ft new manufacturing building ... Read more
- Don’t Reinvent the Wheel Below is an email we received from Batho Matubudi from Botswana, a past attendee of our Aquaponics Master Class. His comments ring so true. Thank you, Batho, for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. You say it better that we could have.
“Hi Rebecca/John –
I thought I should catch up with you. One of the fundamental learnings ... Read more
- Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and Aquaponics The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), the most sweeping reform of our food safety laws in more than 70 years, was signed into law by President Obama on January 4, 2011. The FSMA is still being defined and has not yet been implemented. FDA states that they are committed to developing a final rule ... Read more
- A 1-Star Review We recently completed our November Aquaponics Master Class with attendees from 4 continents and 9 individual countries. It was an exceptional group with a wide variety of planned uses for growing food in aquaponics. During and after the class, nearly all participants expressed their appreciation to us for the class and the comprehensive coverage of ... Read more
- Profitable, Dependable, Efficient, Sustainable Profitable,
Those four words describe what people considering commercial aquaponic food production need and want their systems to be in order to succeed. When you look at an existing successful aquaponic farm, their system will demonstrate these four things: profitability, dependability, efficiency and sustainability.
As entrepreneurs, we understand this and have demonstrated it for over thirty years, ... Read more
- Aquaponics Certification Program In Development Certified Naturally Grown (CNG), a grassroots non-profit organization, announced it will develop a new certification program for aquaponics operations.
The announcement follows three months of consideration by CNG and its Aquaponics Exploratory Committee, a group made up of six experts and practitioners from across the country with decades of experience between them. I was selected as one of ... Read more
- Changing the Food System Recently someone asked me what our company does. I briefly explained what aquaponics is and that we help people get started and be successful in aquaponics so they can supply fresh fish and vegetables to their family, community or in a profitable farming venture. We achieve this by supplying complete Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems®, project ... Read more
- 2 Acres of Aquaponics Being Installed Right Now! There is an enormous amount of talk about aquaponics and a lot of news stories and press releases about people planning projects and planning to scale up small projects into multi-acre facilities.
Earlier this year, Farmed Here in Chicago busted out a lot of press about their massive indoor farm which, in reality is a fraction ... Read more
- Failures in Aquaponics In recent years the aquaponics industry has experienced meteoric growth in both general interest and the creation of working systems of every size and style imaginable, and for good reason. If this technology along with Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) isn’t going to be the primary solution of feeding nine billion people in 35 years, it ... Read more
- Lights, Camera, Action! Although our company had one of the early websites on the Internet with video, it has been missing from our site for the past decade. We’ve been so busy developing, building and shipping Clear Flow Aquaponic Systems®, creating comprehensive course content, teaching courses, speaking at conferences and writing books, manuals and curriculums, we really hadn’t ... Read more
- March 2012 in Wisconsin We have been having phenomenally warm weather this March in Wisconsin, with daytime temperatures in the 80s all last week. One day recently, we harvested perfectly rip sweet corn grown in our aquaponic systems and, that evening, grilled it with our dinner. As I lit the grill, anxiously awaiting that first bite of corn, I ... Read more
- Imitation is the Sincerest Form of Flattery To make learning about aquaponics and planning for your aquaponics venture easier, we’ve scheduled our 2012 workshops as well as launched the first hybrid University aquaponics course in partnership with UW-Stevens Point. This partnership brings together the experience and technology of Nelson and Pade, Inc. with a University platform for education.
Nearly every week I see ... Read more
- A University Aquaponics Course! If you’ve been looking for a University course in aquaponics but could not find one, your search is over! Nelson and Pade, Inc., is happy to announce that the University of Wisconsin – Stevens Point (UWSP), is now offering a 3-credit, full semester course in Aquaponics – Introduction to Aquaponics. This course is a partnership with ... Read more
- Nelson and Pade., Inc Workshops Have Global Impact! Wow! Kathleen Paynter, our Operations Manager, just shared our latest workshop statistics with me. Over the past two years, we have had attendees of our workshops from 46 US states and 20 countries! In addition to being very comprehensive and packed with information, every one of our workshops are exciting and fun. The diverse backgrounds ... Read more
- Time Flies When You are Having Fun I can’t believe May is already here…the two months of training for our interns going to Haiti is wrapping up; we have a new participant in our Extended Stay Learning Program coming next week and our new Aquaponics 101 workshop is happening May 14.
In other news, there was an excellent article written about us, titled: Nelson and Pade, Inc. – ... Read more
- Training Begins for Haiti Aquaponics Project With the Northwest Haiti Christian Mission aquaponics greenhouse nearly built, we have begun training three enthusiastic people who will be travelling to Haiti to run the new aquaponic system at NWHCM in Saint Louis Du Nord. Ed and Lora Ginter, from Kentucky, and Chris Clarke, from Montana, all arrived at Nelson and Pade, Inc.’s facility ... Read more
- Big News, Exciting Developments Wow, we are not even two weeks into 2011 and it is already a great year for us! We’ve got exciting news. The Nelson and Pade, Inc. team of aquaponics professionals is growing and we have new books, systems, workshops and announcements coming!
After officially retiring from the University of the Virgin Islands, Dr. James Rakocy ... Read more
- December Workshop Wraps up a Successful Year of Training Our last workshop of 2010 took place December 9-11, 2010 and wrapped up a very successful year of training. Overall for the year, we’ve had over 200 participants in our training programs from 30 states and 15 countries.
The December workshop attendees came from 15 different states, plus Africa, Sweden and Canada to brave the Wisconsin ... Read more
- Green Acres, Kansas City, Aquaponics Project Green-Acres, Nelson and Pade, partners – Kansas City Aquaponics Project
This week John and I travelled to Kansas City to meet with Ms. Carol Coe and the Green Acres Community Garden group. We began talking with Ms. Coe over a year ago about expanding their community garden program into aquaponics and education. A group from Green ... Read more
- A Little Perspective on the Growth of Aquaponics The awareness of and enthusiasm for aquaponics is beginning to snowball. Every day I see new references to aquaponics, new blog posts, articles and media attention. I am glad to see this and find it encouraging that so many people are recognizing the potential of aquaponics. But, unfortunately, there is also a great deal of ... Read more
- Imagine this… As the wheels of the plane lifted from the gravel runway/roadway in Port a Paix, Haiti last week, I gazed out the window. I saw donkeys, goats and people scurrying out of the way; homes, buildings and banana trees whizzing by. I saw the streets of Port a Paix littered with debris, the buildings ramshackled ... Read more
- News from Haiti – Aquaponics Installation John and I arrived in Haiti a week ago to begin the installation of an aquaponic system at Northwest Haiti Christian Mission nwhcm.org. It has been a busy and inspiring week, as we met the many people who keep this operation moving forward and feeding, caring for and nurturing people every day. Executive Director or ... Read more
- Successful Workshop! A great aquaponics workshop took place Sept 29 – October 2, 2010. Dr. James Rakocy, John Pade and myself taught aquaponics concepts, technology, methods and design to 47 workshop attendees. The response to this workshop was very positive. The camaraderie among the attendees, hosts and our entire staff bloomed into friendships and business collaborations.
Attendees came from ... Read more
- Aquaponics in the Running for Pepsi Refresh Grant Pepsi’s Refresh Grant helps to fund innovative ideas and projects. Pepsi is giving away millions of dollars ($1,300,000 each month) to fund great ideas. Each month, up to 1000 applications are accepted and then voting is open for 30 days. Projects typically funded advance sustainable, community-oriented ideas. This month, there are two aquaponics projects in the ... Read more
- All New Aquaponics Journal Website! I am happy to announce the new, improved website for the Aquaponics Journal. The new design and site is user friendly and pleasing to the eye. The home page features the current issue with a photo of the cover and description of the content.
The new “Articles” page offers a wide range of articles for users ... Read more
- Welcome to the Nelson and Pade Aquaponics Blog! Thanks for checking out our new Blog! We will be posting news, information, event updates, comments and opinions on all things aquaponic. As long-time leaders in aquaponics, we look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas on this blog. We are excited and amazed at the growth of the aquaponics industry over the past few years ... Read more