This course goes beyond an introduction, covering all of the basics of aquaponics. Upon completing this course, you will have an understanding of what aquaponics is, where it came from and how it works. You will also gain an understanding of the benefits of aquaponics and the applications of aquaponics and knowledge of the history of aquaponics, systems design and methods and crop choices. This course content will give you an excellent overview of aquaponic food production.
The course includes a Welcome and introduction, an aquaponics greenhouse tour and 6 separate lessons. The individual lessons are, on average, 15-25 minutes in length. Each lesson has a quiz to verify that you are understanding and comprehending the material. Some lessons include extra course material for additional study.
Estimated time to completion:4.5 – 5 hours
• Intro to Aquaponics
• Aquaponic Greenhouse Tour
• Benefits of Aquaponics
• Applications of Aquaponics
• History of Aquaponics
• Aquaponic System Designs and Methods
• Crop Choices
Key Concepts Covered
• Definition of Aquaponics
• Where Aquaponics came from: Aquaculture and Hydroponics
• How Aquaponics works
• The Process and the Players: Fish, Plants, Microbes
• The benefits of Aquaponics
• Crop diversity in Aquaponics
• The applications of Aquaponics: Home, MicroFarm, Commercial Farming, Agri-tourism, Social and Mission Projects, Food Security, Education and Innovation.
• The ancient history of aquaculture, hydroponics and aquaponics
• Aquaponics research, contributors to the industry and future potential
• Aquaponic system designs: Raft (DWC), Media beds, NFT, Vertical, ZDEP®
• Aquaponic design criteria
• Choosing a system
• Crop choices: Fish
• Crop choices: Plants
Downloadable Course Materials
- Aquaponics Diagram Poster
- Desktop Aquaponics Booklet
- Benefits of Aquaponics Poster
- History of Aquaponics Timeline Poster
- System Specifications (Home, MicroFarm, Commercial
- This is an online Course
- Access the course when you want.
- Learn at your own pace.
- To access the course, you need a computer, tablet, phone or other internet device.
- You will be required to set up a user account with 2-Factor Authentication.
- All registrants receive a Certificate of Completion when they complete the course.
Some individual lessons have extra course material. Click the Materials tab in each lesson to access any extras.